What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins refer to the blood vessels that are enlarged, swollen and twisted, which can be seen under the skin. The veins usually appear to black or blue, which is different from the natural vein colour. The veins become the varicose veins when they are filled and dilated with blood.
Usually present in the legs, varicose veins may form in other body parts as well. Varicose veins appear to have a red or bluish-purple colour and are often very painful.
In many cases, varicose or spider veins are just a cosmetic concern, but in some cases, they become so painful and require immediate treatment.
Causes of Varicose Veins
- The weak valves and vein walls cause varicose veins
- When the valves don’t function properly, it causes the blood to flow backwards, which ultimately leads to swelling in the legs, making them enlarged.
- When the walls of the veins stretch, they lose their elasticity which weakens the valves and ultimately results in the formation of varicose veins.
- Improper blood circulation that happens when faulty valves allow blood to flow in the wrong direction, which ultimately can cause varicose veins.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- Veins appear bulged and twisted
- Skin discolouration around a varicose vein
- Swollen ankles and aching legs
- Lower limbs can suffer from throbbing, burning, muscle cramping and swelling
Laser treatment for Varicose Veins
Laser Treatment uses a laser that is a highly focused beam of heat that treats the varicose veins. The temperature of the laser damages the vein, which is causing scar tissue form.
This scar tissue closes the Varicose vein due to which the vein loses its source of blood and ultimately dies. The vein eventually disappears within a year or two.
The laser treatments are preferably better than the other medications because they are less painful, and the recovery time is short.
The laser treatment usually gets over in an hour or less, depending on the case profile. Also, the procedure is a daycare treatment. The types of laser treatments are:
Simple Laser treatment
The treatment cures the tiny veins and the spider veins that are present just beneath the skin surface. This treatment is performed on the outer skin and can require two or more laser treatments to cure the varicose veins. It is a non-invasive treatment that makes the use of radio-frequency to heat up the vein wall and then finally the affected vein contracts and closes the varicose veins. The patients need to have multiple follow-ups with the doctors to entirely remove the varicose veins.
As per the doctor’s prescription, the process is performed in 6-12 weeks if it is more than one laser treatment. Also, this laser treatment is considered very safe and effective in curing the varicose veins.
Endovenous Laser Ablation
Also, known as “EVLA Treatment”, the treatment is performed under general anesthesia. It cures massive varicose and requires a lighter dose of sedative before it begins.
The process uses a laser fibre that passes through the thin tube into the vein. While the patient undergoes this process, the doctor examines the affected area on a duplex ultrasound screen. The process ends up heating the affected vein and resulting in its closure.
It is an inpatient process, and the patient gets discharged after a few hours of treatment
Laser Treatment Procedure for Varicose Veins
- During Procedure: The treatment procedure begins by numbing the area for inserting the tube in the vein. For this, your doctor may give you the injection or a shot along the vein that is under treatment. Also, a doppler ultrasound wave is used to examine the vein during the procedure and take the images on the computer screen. The next step involves making a cut or incision in the skin to insert the catheter. Then the laser fibre is put in the catheter. After the insertion, the doctor removes the catheter slowly, and the laser starts burning the vein. This treatment will close the vein, which will eventually die curing the problem.
- After Procedure: The procedure ends in an hour or so, after that, the patient may start walking and will recover in a short time. If the patient undergoes simple laser treatment, he or she can continue with their daily routine immediately. Since the procedure ends in an hour, the patients can walk by themselves and return to their healthy life.
Depending on the severity of the affected area, the patients may have recurrences of the problem. To avoid such repetitions, the patients must have regular checkups with their doctors. Though the probability of suffering the same problem is very less, patients should never neglect any symptoms if felt again. Every patient must have detailed knowledge about the treatment process and then opt for the treatment.
How advantageous is Laser Treatment over other treatments?
- The laser treatment is very affordable as compared to other treatments.
- Every person who undergoes laser therapy can resume their routine immediately after wearing the compression stockings, whereas others require bed rest for a week or two.
- Doctors make a small incision to start the laser treatment process, unlike others.
- The process completes in an hour, and your recovery starts from there and then where as the non-laser treatments may take 1-2 days to complete.
- The recovery period makes laser treatment the best solution for youngsters as you can return to a healthy life.
- It is very safe and does not cause any pain to the patient.
- The success rates are also better than other treatments.
Myths about Laser Treatment
- Laser Treatment can burn the skin: Most of the patients scare to undergo laser treatment because they fear that skin may burn. But laser treatment is very safe and is most successful in curing varicose veins. No cases of burn have come up, and patients recover in a short period.
- Laser Treatment is painful: Another misconception that binds people from undergoing laser treatment is that it is excruciating. The doctor examines your affected area and the entire body before your treatment procedure begins. Laser treatment is considered the best solution for painless treatment.
- Laser Treatment affects the inner organs: Most people fail to understand that doctors only use the laser on the affected pain for its closure and removal without touching any other organ. This procedure has no effects on any other organ or leg.
- Laser Treatment can increase the chances of having skin infection: Patients need to know that the treatment only deals with curing the varicose veins internally without any exposure to the outer layer of the skin. There is no chance that one can get skin infections.
- Laser Treatment causes cancer: There is no probability of developing cancer after undergoing laser treatment.The treatment is very safe and is the best possible solution to cure varicose veins.
How can Ayu Health Help?
Ayu Health is India’s most trusted network of hospitals. Our in-house laser treatment experts are among the best in their field and will identify the most optimal treatment for the specific individual.
Ayu Health hospitals offer all advanced Varicose treatment procedures and carry mandatory certifications from the government authorities. Our treatment centres have all the latest equipment to cure the Varicose veins problem, and are accredited by NABH, India’s premier hospital accreditation body.
If you are looking for a leading doctor who can treat and perform effective Laser treatment and suggest the best methods to get the procedure just right for you in India, you can call +91 – 6366 100 800 or visit us at https://ayu.health/bangalore/surgery/Varicose-Veins-29.