World Asthma Day is observed globally on the first Tuesday in May to increase asthma awareness. The event strives to unite local and international organizations to combat this common non-communicable illness affecting children and adults. World Asthma Day is being commemorated this year, in 2023, on Tuesday, May 2.
The Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) announced that this year’s World Asthma Day theme is “Asthma Care for All.” This subject seeks to increase asthma patients’ access to high-quality healthcare, particularly in low- and middle-income nations. The objective is to lessen the disproportionately high number of asthma-related hospitalizations and fatalities in these regions due to the poor availability of asthma care.
This World Asthma Day 2023, let’s create awareness by learning more about asthma, its symptoms, causes, treatment, and prevention. So please keep reading.
What is Asthma
Asthma is a chronic health condition that usually affects both children and adults. This condition is characterized by inflammation and constriction of the small airways in the lungs, eventually narrowing these passages. This narrowing results in several symptoms of asthma.
What are the various asthma symptoms
The various symptoms of asthma include the following,
- Coughing, which occurs frequently at the night
- Coughing when doing any physical activity or while laughing
- Trouble talking
- Feeling fatigues
- Quick breathing
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Feeling anxious
- Chest tightness
- Increase in mucus production
An asthma attack, which can occur unexpectedly and may vary in severity, might result from the deterioration of asthma symptoms. Sometimes, the airways swell and become irritated, preventing oxygen from reaching the lungs. Due to the body’s inability to obtain sufficient oxygen to support vital organs, it is essential for those suffering severe symptoms to seek immediate medical attention.
What are the causes of asthma
The exact causes of asthma are yet known. However, certain risk factors may increase the risk of getting asthma. These asthma risk factors include the following,
- Having a family history of asthma or any allergies
- Having respiratory infections like respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
- Environmental factors such as exposure to allergens, fumes, smoke, or toxins
- Having any allergy
What are the various asthma triggers
A person may get an asthma attack when exposed to certain substances that may act as triggers. It is essential to know your asthma triggers to avoid an asthma attack, as some people may suffer an attack immediately. Hence, it is best to know your asthma triggers.
Some of the common substances that can trigger asthma include the following,
- Dust mites
- Pests and pets
- Car exhaust
- Certain health conditions or medications
- Certain strong emotions, such as stress or excitement
When to see a doctor
It is essential to remember that an asthma attack can become severe and life-threatening. Hence it is vital to acknowledge the symptoms of a severe asthma attack and seek medical help immediately from a doctor. The signs and symptoms of a severe asthma attack include the following,
- If you feel severe breathlessness
- When you experience severe wheezing
- Shortness of breath when doing a small task
- When your symptoms don’t improve after using an inhaler
How can asthma be treated
There are various treatment options available that may help in managing asthma. Some of these treatment options that the doctor may prescribe for treating and managing asthma may include the following,
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Bronchial thermoplasty
How to prevent asthma
Certain preventive measures can help you prevent an asthma attack if you are an asthma patient. These asthma preventive measures include the following,
- Formulate an asthma action plan with your doctor to control and avoid asthma episodes. It should cover how to take medications and how to handle attacks.
- Find your asthma triggers, such as allergens, irritants, cold air, and air pollution, and stay away from them.
- Using a home peak flow meter to keep track of your breathing and routinely record peak airflow values.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions while taking any prescription medicine, and never alter the dosage without talking to them first.
- To modify your treatment strategy, get medical counsel from your doctor if you discover that you are using your quick-relief inhaler excessively.
- Stop smoking as smoking may trigger an attack of asthma
- Since extreme emotions may trigger an asthma attack, it is essential to manage your stress effectively. To effectively manage stress, you can try meditation or breathing techniques.
Also Read : Understanding the Differences Between Asthma and COPD: A Comprehensive Guide
Asthma is a chronic condition that can affect the patient’s everyday activities. This World Asthma Day 2023, spread awareness about the various triggers of asthma among your family and friends to help them learn more about the conditions. It is also essential to make people aware of the various symptoms of asthma so that timely treatment can be taken. On World Asthma Day 2023, encourage your loved ones to learn about various asthma symptoms, triggers, and prevention measures to stay healthy and help others with asthma by educating them.
At Ayu Health hospitals, we provide top-notch facilities and high-quality medical care to patients from all over the world. Our state-of-the-art hospitals have cutting-edge technology and highly skilled medical professionals to provide accurate diagnoses and effective treatment for all kinds of diseases, including asthma. We offer personalized care to our patients and ensure they receive the best possible treatment and attention. Our hospitals are equipped with the latest medical equipment. Our team of highly skilled and qualified doctors and staff that works tirelessly to provide compassionate care to all our patients. At Ayu Health, Network of hospitals, we are committed to making healthcare affordable and accessible. We provide cost-effective services without compromising on the quality of care.
Our Hospital Locations
General Surgery Hospitals in Chandigarh | General Surgery Hospitals in Bangalore | General Surgery Hospitals in Jaipur | General Surgery Hospitals in NCR | General Surgery Hospitals in Hyderabad
General Surgery Doctors in Chandigarh | General Surgery Doctors in Bangalore | General Surgery Doctors in Jaipur | General Surgery Doctors in NCR | General Surgery Doctors in Hyderabad
About the Author
Dr. S. Goel
Dr. S. Goel is a renowned Internal Medicine Specialist currently practicing at Ayu Health, Bangalore. He is a Specialist in Internal Medicine, Diabetes HTN, Paediatric Care, and Family Medicine.