Gynecomastia is a medical condition characterized by the enlargement of male breast tissue. According to a study, it affects at least 30% of males during their lifetime.
This condition accompanies physical discomfort and emotional distress, which is why you must seek prompt medical attention.
However, knowing which doctor to consult for gynecomastia may not be a matter those who suffer from this condition are aware of.
In this blog, we will guide you through the various specialists who can help diagnose and treat gynecomastia effectively.
Doctors to Consult for Gynecomastia
Here are some specialists you should consider for gynecomastia treatment.
1. Plastic Surgeons
Plastic surgeons usually have extensive experience in gynecomastia treatment and can offer surgical and non-surgical treatment options tailored to your specific needs.
They specialize in hormonal imbalances while addressing the underlying hormonal causes contributing to gynecomastia.
A dermatologist can diagnose and treat various skin-related conditions, including gynecomastia. The treatment may involve non-surgical approaches such as medication to manage the condition.
They specialize in male breast reduction, among other cosmetic procedures. They have extensive experience in performing surgical interventions to shave off excess breast tissue and restore a more masculine chest contour.
Signs You Have Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia manifests in various ways, and recognizing the signs is essential for seeking appropriate medical attention. If you notice any of the following symptoms, it may indicate the presence of gynecomastia:
- Breast enlargement: An abnormal increase in breast tissue size, resulting in a noticeable swelling or bulge.
- Breast tenderness: Feeling pain or discomfort in the breast area, particularly around the nipples.
- Physical changes in the nipples: The nipples may become more sensitive, develop a rubbery or firm texture, or protrude.
- Breast asymmetry: Noticeable differences in size or shape between the breasts, with one side appearing larger or more swollen.
When Should You Visit A Doctor
Consider visiting a doctor for gynecomastia in the following situations:
- Persistent breast enlargement
- Pain or tenderness in the chest
- Emotional distress
It’s important to note that each individual’s situation is unique, and it’s best to consult a healthcare professional who specializes in gynecomastia for accurate diagnosis and treatment.
Do You Need Surgery for Gynecomastia?
When it comes to gynecomastia, the need for surgery depends on the condition and individual circumstances. Here are some points to consider:
- Mild cases: Lifestyle modifications such as weight loss, exercise, and hormone-balancing medications may be sufficient to reduce breast tissue.
- Medications: Hormonal medications like selective oestrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) or aromatase inhibitors may be prescribed to regulate hormone levels and reduce breast tissue.
- Non-surgical procedures: Non-surgical treatments like liposuction or laser-assisted liposuction can be considered for individuals with excess fatty tissue causing gynecomastia.
- Surgical intervention: Surgical removal of glandular breast tissue and excess skin through mastectomy or liposuction may be necessary for moderate to severe cases of gynecomastia.
Specialized Doctors to Consult at Ayu Health for Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia can affect a person’s life, but it doesn’t have to. Ayu Health is here to provide substantial relief from conditions such as gynecomastia.
Our team of highly qualified and seasoned doctors is here to assist you every step of the way:
- Dr Yogiswarappa (Plastic Surgery)
MBBS, MS – General Surgery, MCh – Plastic Surgery, MBBS, MS – General Surgery 26+ years
- Dr Pradeep Kumar N (Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery, General Surgery)
MBBS, DNB (General Surgery & Plastic Surgery) 17+ years
- Dr Manjunath K G (MBBS, MD – Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy)
Dermatology 15+ years
- Dr Bhumika S (Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Paediatric Dermatologist)
MBBS, DDVL 15+ years
Treating Gynecomastia with a Patient-First Approach
Dealing with gynecomastia can be emotionally stressful. So choosing qualified medical professionals who treat their patients with empathy can help tremendously.
At Ayu Health, our experienced specialists provide comprehensive treatment for gynecomastia.
Consult our surgeons and dermatologists to regain your confidence. Visit our website or call us at +91 6366-100-800 to book an appointment.
Which Doctor is Best for Gynecomastia?
For the best treatment of gynecomastia, consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon specialising in male breast reduction surgery is recommended.
Can a Gynaecologist Treat Gynecomastia?
While gynaecologists primarily focus on women’s health, they may not be the most appropriate for gynecomastia treatment. It is advisable to consult with a plastic surgeon or a specialist in male breast conditions.
How Do Doctors Test for Gynecomastia?
Doctors typically diagnose gynecomastia based on physical examination, medical history, and an evaluation of any underlying conditions. Blood tests or imaging studies may be necessary to determine other causes.
Do Endocrinologists Deal with Gynecomastia?
Endocrinologists can play a role in evaluating and managing gynecomastia, especially if hormonal imbalances are suspected. They can help identify and address any underlying hormonal causes of gynecomastia.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia can be caused by hormonal imbalances, certain medications, genetic factors, obesity, and underlying medical conditions. Understanding the underlying cause is essential for appropriate treatment and management.