Image URL: https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/portrait-elderly-retired-caucasian-man-blue-shirt-holding-hand-his-face-covering-eyes-peeking-out-through-split-fingers-feeling-ashamed-human-facial-expressions-body-language_11893071.htm#page=1&query=old%20eyes%20old%20man%20eye&position=17
Cataract surgery is a quick and simple procedure to remove cloudy parts in your eye lens. This improves vision and solves issues like blurry or faded vision, seeing double or trouble seeing at night.
The actual procedure takes just about 10 minutes to complete. Most people recover completely within a month from cataract surgery.
Read on to know more about what you can expect after the surgery.
Immediately after the Cataract Surgery
The effects of the anaesthesia will wear off in about an hour. After that, you will be discharged.
During the procedure, a new lens will be implanted over the eye lens. It will take your eye sometime to adjust to this lens. Until then, your vision might be blurred.
A few important tips to remember:
- Most people have an itchy or dry sensation in the eye. Your doctor will give drops to manage pain as well as the dryness. It’s very important to use the eye drops exactly as your doctor prescribes them to use it.
- Even though there is an itchy feeling, you have to make sure you don’t rub your eye. It could cause damage to your eye.
- When you go home, make sure you stay in a clean and dust-free environment. You can take bath and shampoo but you need to be careful not to let any soap/shampoo enter your eyes.
- Wear an eye patch. It will protect you from sunlight which might be too harsh for your eye at his time. Make sure to wear your eye patch even when you sleep.
- Bending puts pressure on your eyes. So, try not to bend or lift heavy weights.
- While it’s difficult to control, do try not to vomit or sneeze too hard.
- You also should avoid wearing makeup as it might cause irritation in the eye.
A week after the Cataract Surgery
You will be able to see rather clearly by now. You have to continue using the eye drops that your doctor has prescribed. You will have a doctor’s visit scheduled in the week to monitor your progress.
During this week, you’ll need to watch out for some symptoms. If you experience any of them, it would be wise to visit your doctor immediately.
Here are the important symptoms to watch out for:
- Loss of vision
- Sensation of burning or pain even after using the eye drops
- Signs of redness, infection or swelling
- If you see flashes of light or floaters which seem like spider webs, it could be an emergency. If not treated immediately, it could lead to vision loss. So, do make sure to see your doctor right away if you experience this.
A month after the Cataract surgery
You should be all recovered from the surgery by this time. During the regular doctor’s visits, your doctor might change the eye drops according to your condition.
Your vision will be all cleared up and you will be able to see clearly. If your vision is still not perfect, the doctor might check your eyes and suggest glasses to correct the minor problems.
If you feel that your vision is still cloudy, there might be a chance of recurrence of cataract, also called secondary cataract, around the lenses which have been fitted. Your doctor will perform a simple and painless laser procedure in the office.
A lot depends on how skilfully your doctor performs the surgery and gives you the necessary advice at the right time. That’s the reason why, choosing the right doctor for your cataract surgery is extremely crucial. The doctors at Ayu Health have performed hundreds of cataract surgeries so far and are empowered by the excellent infrastructure at Ayu Health hospitals. To know more, or to schedule your cataract procedure, call us at 080 69489584.
Our Hospital Locations
Ophthalmology Surgery Hospitals in Chandigarh | Ophthalmology Surgery Hospitals in Bangalore | Ophthalmology Surgery Hospitals in Jaipur | Ophthalmology Surgery Hospitals in NCR | Ophthalmology Surgery Hospitals in Hyderabad
Ophthalmology Surgery Doctors in Chandigarh | Ophthalmology Surgery Doctors in Bangalore | Ophthalmology Surgery Doctors in Jaipur | Ophthalmology Surgery Doctors in NCR | Ophthalmology Surgery Doctors in Hyderabad
About the Author
Dr. S. Goel
Dr. S. Goel is a renowned Internal Medicine Specialist currently practicing at Ayu Health Hospital, Bangalore. He is a Specialist in Internal Medicine, Diabetes HTN, Paediatric Care, and Family Medicine.