Summer is here, and it’s time to soak up the sun and enjoy the warmth. However, with the rise in temperature, it’s important to remember that our skin needs some extra love and attention during this time.
Skin allergies are a common concern for many people, especially during the hot and humid summer months in India. The rising temperatures and increased exposure to UV rays can trigger various skin diseases. To prevent and manage these allergies, it is essential to follow a few basic tips.
How to Treat Skin Allergies
To treat skin allergies, start by identifying and avoiding the allergen. For severe reactions, prescription medications may be necessary. If symptoms persist or worsen, consult a dermatologist for further evaluation and treatment. With the right approach, most skin allergies can be effectively treated, allowing you to enjoy the summer season without discomfort.
How to Prevent Skin Allergies
Prevent skin allergies during summer by wearing breathable clothes, using high-quality sunscreen, practising good hygiene, taking cool showers, and staying hydrated. If symptoms appear, consult a dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment.
Heat Rash: How to prevent it
Heat rash is a common skin condition that occurs when sweat ducts become clogged and trap sweat beneath the skin. To prevent heat rash, it’s important to stay cool and dry in hot and humid weather. Here are some tips:
- Wear loose and breathable cotton clothes.
- Use a fan or AC to keep cool.
- Take cool showers to regulate temperature.
- Avoid sweating-inducing activities.
- Use talcum powder to absorb moisture and prevent skin irritation.
Yeast Infections and Athlete’s Foot: How to Prevent It
To prevent fungal infections such as yeast infections and athlete’s foot, you can take several precautions. Keep the affected areas clean and dry, wear breathable clothing, wear shoes in public places, change socks and underwear frequently, avoid sharing personal items, and use antifungal products. If you do develop a fungal infection, seek treatment from a healthcare professional as they can be persistent and difficult to treat on your own.
Hives: How to Prevent It
Hives” typically refer to a skin condition called “urticaria” which is characterised by the appearance of itchy, raised, and red bumps on the skin. It can be triggered by various factors such as heat, sun exposure, insect bites, and certain foods.
To prevent hives, you can:
- Identify and avoid triggers like certain foods, medications, or allergens.
- Manage stress and get enough sleep.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes made from natural fibres.
- Use mild soaps and detergents.
- Stay cool and avoid hot environments.
- Exercise regularly.
- Consult a doctor if you are prone to hives or severe allergic reactions for preventative measures like antihistamines or allergy shots.
Eczema: How to Prevent It
Eczema is a skin condition that causes dry, itchy, and inflamed patches on the skin. It can be triggered by various factors such as genetics, allergies, and environmental irritants.
- Moisturise skin at least twice a day with unscented lotion/cream.
- Use gentle, fragrance-free soaps and detergents.
- Wear soft, breathable cotton fabrics, and avoid wool or scratchy materials.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air, especially during colder months.
- Identify and avoid triggers that cause eczema flare-ups (e.g. stress, certain foods, pollen, pet dander).
- Practise good hygiene, including regular hand washing and keeping nails short to prevent infections.
Sunburns: How to Prevent It
Sunburn is a type of skin damage caused by overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun or other sources like tanning beds. It can cause redness, pain, and peeling, and increase the risk of skin cancer.
- Apply sunscreen regularly (SPF 30 or higher)
- Seek shade during peak hours (10 am to 4 pm)
- Wear protective clothing, including a hat and sunglasses
- Stay hydrated
- Treat sunburns promptly with cool baths/showers, moisturiser, aloe vera gel, and pain relievers.
Managing skin allergies during summer can be challenging, but with the right tips and clinical assistance, it is possible to survive the season without suffering from severe allergies. Ayu Health provides valuable tips and clinical assistance for managing skin allergies. By following their guidance, individuals can enjoy the season without worrying about severe reactions and lead healthy life.
Our Hospital Locations
General Surgery Hospitals in Chandigarh | General Surgery Hospitals in Bangalore | General Surgery Hospitals in Jaipur | General Surgery Hospitals in NCR | General Surgery Hospitals in Hyderabad
General Surgery Doctors in Chandigarh | General Surgery Doctors in Bangalore | General Surgery Doctors in Jaipur | General Surgery Doctors in NCR | General Surgery Doctors in Hyderabad
About the Author
Dr. S. Goel
Dr. S. Goel is a renowned Internal Medicine Specialist currently practicing at Ayu Health, Bangalore. He is a Specialist in Internal Medicine, Diabetes HTN, Paediatric Care, and Family Medicine.