Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes cells to build up rapidly on the surface of the skin. It can cause red, scaly patches, and itching. While psoriasis is not contagious, it can be a persistent and often distressing condition that can affect your entire body. Understanding how psoriasis develops and what you can do to prevent it from spreading can help you better manage your condition.
Can Psoriasis Spread?
Psoriasis is not contagious, so it cannot be spread from person to person through contact. However, it can spread to other areas of the body through self-inoculation, which occurs when you scratch or pick at the affected skin and then touch other areas of the body.
How does Psoriasis Develop?
The exact cause of psoriasis is not fully understood, but it is thought to be related to an immune system problem. The immune system sends out faulty signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. This causes cells to build up rapidly on the surface of the skin.
Tips to Prevent Psoriasis from Spreading
1. Eat a nutrient-dense diet: Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help reduce inflammation throughout the body. This can be beneficial for preventing psoriasis from spreading as inflammation is a key factor in the development of psoriasis.
2. Avoid smoking and alcohol: Smoking and alcohol can worsen psoriasis symptoms. Smoking is a known risk factor for psoriasis and can also make existing psoriasis worse. Alcohol can also aggravate psoriasis symptoms, so it is best to avoid or limit alcohol consumption.
3. Protect your skin: Using sunscreen and protective clothing to protect your skin from UV rays can help prevent psoriasis from spreading. UV light from the sun can aggravate psoriasis symptoms, so it is important to protect your skin from UV exposure.
4. Decrease stress: Stress can worsen psoriasis symptoms, so finding ways to manage and reduce stress through activities such as exercise, meditation, or therapy can be helpful in preventing the spread of psoriasis.
5. Sleep: Getting enough sleep is important for overall health and can also help prevent psoriasis from spreading. Adequate sleep can help reduce inflammation in the body and improve the overall functioning of the immune system, which can help prevent psoriasis flare-ups.
6. Reconsider certain medications: Some medications such as beta blockers or lithium may worsen psoriasis symptoms, so it’s important to talk to your doctor about alternative medications that may work better for you.
7. Use lotion: Moisturizing the skin can help reduce itching and prevent cracking, which can lead to the spread of psoriasis. Keeping the skin moisturized can help reduce inflammation and prevent the formation of new psoriasis plaques.
Treatments to Stop Psoriasis from Spreading
Treatment options for psoriasis include topical treatments, light therapy, oral medications, and biologic drugs. The type of treatment that is best for you will depend on the severity of your condition, the location of the affected skin, and your overall health.
Can You Prevent Psoriasis?
While psoriasis cannot be prevented, taking steps to prevent it from spreading, managing stress, and sticking to a treatment plan can help reduce flare-ups and improve your overall quality of life.
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that can affect the entire body. Understanding the causes and risk factors of psoriasis, as well as taking steps to prevent it from spreading, can help you better manage your condition. It is important to work closely with your doctor to develop a treatment plan that is best for you.
“Why is my psoriasis spreading all of a sudden?”
Psoriasis can spread all of a sudden for various reasons, such as changes in weather, stress, injury to the skin, or certain medications. It can also be a symptom of a more severe form of psoriasis, such as erythrodermic psoriasis. It is important to consult a doctor to determine the cause of the sudden spread and to develop an appropriate treatment plan.
“How can I stop my psoriasis from getting worse?”
To stop psoriasis from getting worse, you can try the following tips:
- Follow a healthy diet
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Use sunscreen and protective clothing
- Reduce stress through exercise, meditation, or therapy
- Get enough sleep
- Moisturize your skin regularly
- Consult your doctor about alternative medications
- Follow a treatment plan recommended by your doctor
“What can I put on psoriasis to make it go away?”
- A number of treatments can be used to help improve the symptoms of psoriasis and reduce the appearance of plaques. These may include topical creams and ointments, light therapy, oral medications, and biologic drugs. The best treatment will depend on the severity of your psoriasis and the location of the affected skin. It is important to consult a doctor to determine the best treatment plan for you.
“Does psoriasis spread if you scratch it?”
- Psoriasis can spread if you scratch it, as scratching can cause the skin to break and bleed, which can lead to infection and the formation of new psoriasis plaques. It is important to avoid scratching and to keep the affected skin moisturized to prevent itching and cracking.
“Is psoriasis contagious?”
- Psoriasis is not contagious, it cannot be spread from person to person through contact. However, it can spread to other areas of the body through self-inoculation, which occurs when you scratch or pick at the affected skin and then touch other areas of the body.
If you need additional resources or would like to speak with a professional, feel free to contact us right away at +91 636-610-0800 or book an appointment on our website. Our expert team is here to assist and support you every step of the way.
Our Hospital Locations
General Surgery Hospitals in Chandigarh | General Surgery Hospitals in Bangalore | General Surgery Hospitals in Jaipur | General Surgery Hospitals in NCR | General Surgery Hospitals in Hyderabad
General Surgery Doctors in Chandigarh | General Surgery Doctors in Bangalore | General Surgery Doctors in Jaipur | General Surgery Doctors in NCR | General Surgery Doctors in Hyderabad
About the Author
Dr. S. Goel
Dr. S. Goel is a renowned Internal Medicine Specialist currently practicing at Ayu Health Hospital, Bangalore. He is a Specialist in Internal Medicine, Diabetes HTN, Paediatric Care, and Family Medicine.