A plethora of men are uneducated about the prostate and its importance in reproductive health, here are some essential facts that every man must know about the prostate.
1. It is a reproductive gland
The prostate is a very small sized reproductive gland that weighs near 30 gms and sits just under the bladder, near the urethra. The prostate is found only in men. It excretes a fluid that contributes 30% of the semen. It protects the sperm for a longer life span and makes thick sperms thin to make it flow smoothly and able to fertilize the egg more efficiently.
2. The prostate gland can have complications
The prostate plays a vital role in reproduction for men. It can generate complications due to the increasing age that can potentially affect prostate health. There are mainly three types of complications that can arise.
- Enlarged prostate
When men grow over 40 years of age, the prostate starts enlarging, making it difficult to urinate. The medical term for enlarged prostate gland is Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Symptoms of BPH include non-emptiness in the bladder even after urinating and unstreamed urine flow.
Prostatitis is a condition when the prostate inflames or swells due to some infection or disease. It is neither a form of cancer nor an enlarged prostate. Prostatitis is further of three types, and each type has different symptoms. The three significant types of condition are:
a) Acute Bacterial Prostatitis
b) Chronic bacterial Prostatitis
c) Chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS)
- Prostate cancer
It is a type of cancer that originates in the prostate gland. Every one out of nine men is diagnosed with prostate cancer. Additionally, It is a curable disease, and a person rarely dies with this type of cancer.
This cancer grows slowly in men, and sometimes doctors also suggest ‘Watchful waiting’ before a complicated treatment. Some types of prostate cancer require minimal, or no treatment and other types require complex surgeries.
You will find more about the diagnosis and treatment available for each type of Prostate disease as you read on.
3. Complications are more likely after the 40 years of age
As men grow, their prostates also increase in size. Which makes them more prone to teach prostate complications. Men over 40 years of age are more likely to get this problem. There are various tests that men can undergo to know if they have the disease or not. Timely detection can help you to cure the condition more quickly, sometimes just a healthy diet and trivial dosage of medication work in curing the disease.
4. It can also be a heredity problem
Genetics and heredity can also be a factor for a prostate complication. A little bit of digging in the history of your immediate family health problems might help you to get aware and take the right measures by consulting a doctor early on.
5. Prostate diseases are curable.
Yes, they are curable. Sometimes patients need trivial medication, and other times, they undergo complex treatments to get successfully treated. However, there is an umpteen number of tests and procedures available, which could be a little bit complex for the patients to go through.
Diagnosis of Prostate diseases
There are four types of tests available for diagnosing prostate diseases:
- Digital Rectal Examination (DRE): DRE is a relatively simple procedure to examine any prostate enlargement. The process is carried out by inserting a lubricated, gloved finger into the rectum and examining the potential expansion of the prostate. You may feel minor discomfort during the test, and it lasts only for a few minutes.
- Prostate ultrasound (transrectal ultrasound): This test is used when a doctor observes abnormal or vague results from DRE. The analysis is performed by injecting a finger-sized ultrasound device into the rectum. The tool generates images of the prostate to examine the disease more efficiently. This test is generally performed with a biopsy to test for prostate cancer. The process takes 5-10 minutes and is entirely safe.
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test: This is a standard blood test that examines the level of PSA in your blood. 0-2 ng/ml is considered safe and PSA level above 4 makes you more prone to prostate cancer. It would help if you got screened only after the consultation and recommendation of a doctor.
- Prostate Biopsy: Prostate biopsy is used to test potential prostate cancer. This test is used when the above-mentioned tests, i.e., PSA, DRE, suggest the possibility of cancer. A biopsy is performed by injecting a needle to collect sample tissues from the prostate. There are some risks associated with prostate biopsy like infection, bleeding, urinating problems, etc.
Treatment of Prostate diseases
Treatment varies according to the type of illness a person has. There are various factors to keep in mind before undergoing any treatment. Elements mainly comprise of:
- The size of your prostate
- Your age
- Your overall health
- Degree of symptoms etc.
Treatments available for enlarged prostates are Alpha-blockers, 5-alpha-reductase, inhibitors, Surgery, etc. Moreover, there are also an array of minimally invasive therapies available like TUMT (transurethral microwave thermotherapy), TUNA (transurethral radiofrequency needle ablation), Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP) and Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
Similarly, a surgical solution to treat the disease also has an array of options to choose from.
Treatments available for prostate cancer are Prostatectomy, Radiation therapy, Radioactive seed implants, Cryotherapy, Hormone therapy, Chemotherapy, Watchful waiting, and Clinical trials.
Treatment available for Prostatitis is Acute and chronic prostatitis. It further comprises medications, antibiotics, or surgery, depending upon the type of prostatitis.
As you have guessed until now that there are a plethora of treatments available for prostate diseases, including ‘watchful waiting.’ You must follow your urological doctor’s recommendation to get a successful treatment.
How can Ayu Health help you?
We are India’s most trusted network of high-quality hospitals, and we have a team of pre-eminent urologists. We have successfully diagnosed and treated thousands of patients suffering from Prostate Diseases.
Ayu Health can offer the following procedures for the treatment of prostate-related issues like:
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): It is a surgery used to treat urinary problems that are caused by the enlargement of the prostate a.k.a. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). The resectoscope is inserted to remove the excess prostate tissues that are blocking the urine flow. There can be some complications after the surgery.
- Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP): It is a minimally-invasive surgery which uses a laser to remove excessive tissues and treating problems related to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is a better option as compared to TURP in terms of cost, effectiveness and complications.
- Prostatectomy (Open and Laparoscopic): This surgery is performed to remove the entire or a part of a prostate gland. It is effective when a person has prostate cancer or BPH.
For all procedures, Ayu Health offers fixed price packages which are communicated before admission. These include all typical charges associated with surgery. Our intent is for you to focus on getting better, not hidden costs.
|Hospital Admission / Registration Charge||Yes||No|
|Operation Theater Charges||Yes||Yes|
|Surgery Charges (includes surgeon fees, anaesthetist fees)||Yes||Yes|
|All pre-surgery tests||Yes||No|
|Hospital Stay beyond standard duration||Yes||No|
|Drugs consumed during the hospital stay||Yes||Yes|
|Zero additional charges at the time of discharge||Yes||No|
If you are looking for a leading urologist who can treat prostate issues in India, you can call +91 – 6366 100 800 or visit us at Prostate removal to learn more.
About the Author
Dr. Shivakumar Uppala
Dr. Shivakumar Uppala is renowned as one of the best Cancer Specialist Doctors in the country, has performed more than 500 surgeries till now, and is an experienced surgical oncologist as well as a consultant. He is practicing at Ayu Health Hospital, Bangalore. He is a specialist in Surgical Oncology and MS - General Surgery Laparoscopic Surgeon.